Garden Operative / Grounds Maintenance
JOB DESCRIPTION: Garden Operative / Grounds Maintenance – Maternity Cover
TERM: Fixed Term Contract commencing early April
ACCOUNTABLE TO: General Manager
LOCATION: Fota House, Arboretum & Gardens, Fota Island, Co. Cork
CONTRACT TYPE:Hourly – 27 Hours per Week
SALARY: €11.50 per hour
Reporting to the General Manager at Fota House you will work primarily with the property team.
We are looking for a horticultural assistant to join our property as maternity cover. With a passion for heritage and plants, you will take real pride in your work. You will enjoy maintaining and developing the property’s gardens and site, ensuring our visitors can enjoy the pleasant and relaxing environment.
The job role includes:
- Your key duties will include growing, maintenance and harvesting of herbs, fruit and vegetables, while also looking after flowerbeds.
- Working with the current gardeners to maintain the orchard space, to will help make it presentable to the public.
- You will advise the Gardener / General Manager on potential gardening issues and help to plan areas that require improvement.
- As part of the maintenance team with other ad hoc duties in and around the property, particularly with regard to our two seasonal Plant Fairs.
- You will be available to work occasional weekends and weekday afternoons, as required.
- You will be expected to engage with Fota and other corporate volunteers, supervising and helping them in their tasks.
- You will be expected to engage with members of the public who visit the gardens, being polite and informative, always projecting Fota in the best light.
- Our ultimate objective is to enhance the sites we work on, and leave them looking smart, clean and tidy.
- You must be adaptable to working in all weather conditions
Due to the changing demands of the Trust, as it grows, new duties may be added and priorities may be changed within the existing work portfolio. The post holder will be expected to demonstrate flexibility in undertaking any reasonable administrative tasks commensurate with the grade of the post.
- Comprehensive knowledge of gardening and plants and general maintenance.
- Experience in fruit or vegetable production would be desirable.
- A keen interest in gardening and achieving high standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to work as part of a team or individually.
- Punctuality and excellent attendance is essential
- You should be reliable, trustworthy and a good time keeper
Applications for this role should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 10th March 2020.